Monday, July 6, 2015

06/29/2015




Hey everyone,                                                                                    June 29th, 2015

Sorry for the lack of a blog letter last week. Things got sort of busy and I ran out of time emailing I'm starting to really love my area though. It is a very beautiful place at times.

It is very a different environment than George. Our area is on the edge of the city and is mostly gated suburbs. One thing I like about my new area is that is that English is the majority language and most people here speak it beautifully. 

There is a township on the edge of our area called Dunoon. It is easily the most densely packed township I have ever worked. The streets are tiny and very narrow. Often, people just park in the middle of the street so driving is very scary.

There is a large number of people from Angola living in our area. We have been visiting members and teaching quite a few people who speak Portuguese. We placed three Portuguese Books of Mormons last week. South Africa is just an incredibly diverse country.

There is a less active in area who recently graduated from BYU-Idaho. The school that I'm attending after my mission. He has some really funny dating stories about that place and is a lot of fun to talk to. He just needs to go to church.

We had a really fun last Monday. We went to a lions park near Paarl. Most of our zone also went. We nearly got kicked out of the park because some of the missionaries started messing around and trying to provoke the lions.

The previous P-day we went to the Fort of Good Hope in downtown Cape Town. It is an old Dutch fort built in the 17th century. It was endlessly fascinating to me to read about the history of the old cape colony and the very complex history of South Africa.

We have had some very powerful and inspired lessons with people and I have seen the difference that teaching by the Spirit can make in peoples lives.

I am so grateful for this amazing time to serve the Lord.

Love,
Elder Sean Patrick Herrick

No comments:

Post a Comment